Your car's electrical system runs the battery, the alternator, and the starter, just to name a few. When the electrical system isn't working, it should be investigated sooner rather than later. Some electrical problems can cause further damage your car, if not addressed. They should be repaired at the first opportunity. The most common electrical problems include, but are not limited to—
- Noises: When you turn the key and all you hear is clicking or a grinding noise, you'll want to check your battery or the starter.
- Dim lights or no lights: You need lights to drive, there's no way around that. If your lights are not as bright as usual, there's most likely a problem with the battery charging properly. It could be loose wires or corroded cables. Whatever the reason, it needs to be looked at right away.
- Won't start: If you turn the key and nothing happens, the electrical system is having problems.
- Dead battery: If you find yourself with a dead battery too often, it may be that it's not charging completely or correctly. This is an electrical issue.
- Blown fuse: If the battery, alternator and starter check out well, the problem could be a blown fuse. Check the fuse box.
- Loose cables: The battery cables should have a firm connection to the battery. If the cables are loose, they need attention.
- Burning smell: This is serious. If you smell burning plastic, turn off your car immediately and seek professional help.
- Loss of speed: If you suddenly lose speed, it could be your alternator.
- Loose spark plug: A car that suddenly loses power or acts strange may have loose spark plugs. Without a firm connection, the spark cannot travel properly.
You may be able to fix some of these problems, such as put in a new fuse or even change the spark plugs. But it's always a good idea to have the problem properly diagnosed by a professional. Maybe the spark plugs are not the problem, and then you would have spent time and money on the wrong thing. When you find yourself in need of electrical repair for your car, bring it over to our auto repair shop. Our expert mechanics can repair your car's electrical problems.