Many of us never want to find ourselves in the situation of a car breakdown. It seems to always happen at the worst time and can be very stressful if it ends up happening on a highway. We understand that this situation can be scary, but understand what steps to take and how to best handle the situation can help you stay safe and get your car fixed as soon as possible.
The first thing you need to do is try to get your vehicle over to the side of the road safely or out of traffic. A car breakdown can put you at risk for car accidents if you are in a dangerous spot, so understanding your surroundings is important.
Here are some helpful tips on what to do if you car breaks down:
- Turn on your emergency lights. This will indicate to other drivers on the road that something is wrong and will allow others to take precaution when driving around your vehicle.
- If you feel your car breaking down, get over to the side of the road in a safe area as soon as possible, and if possible. Sometimes we can feel our car slowly coming to a stop, and this is when you should try to safely get over to the roadside and out of the way of moving traffic.
- As soon as you are on the shoulder of the road and out of harm’s way, turn off your vehicle.
- Call a tow truck or roadside assistance. This will get a professional out to you quickly to assess the situation and get your vehicle off the road if needed.
- If your vehicle stops in the middle of the road and there’s nothing you can do, stay in your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights immediately, and call the police. They will be able to direct traffic away from your vehicle safely to avoid accidents.
- If your vehicle is going to be towed, call a local auto repair shop and see if they can take in your vehicle for an initial inspection. This will save you money on towing costs in the long run and help get your problem resolved quickly.
If you find yourself in a breakdown situation, the first thing you should do is make sure you are safe! If your vehicle needs a repair, you can give the experts a call here at Pro Auto Care and we will make sure that your vehicle is restored and gets back on the road quickly.