This winter has the potential to be a nasty one and the entire team at Pro Auto Care in Denver and Littleton don’t want you to end up like the person in the photo… unless you are out on a beautiful snowy sunrise walk by choice! There’s a lot you can do to avoid getting stranded and plenty to help keep you safe and warm if you do. We’ll vote for the former, however.
Ways to keep you safely moving down the roads of Denver, Littleton, and well beyond:
- Tires: make sure they are in the best condition possible, properly inflated, and have chains at the ready just in case. When your tires aren’t properly inflated, they don’t hug the road they way they should. And if the tread is too low or gone, then not only do they not stick to the road, they don’t direct excess water, snow, or ice away from the tire causing you to lose control.
- If you do lose control, don’t hit the brakes but take your foot off the gas and downshift. Don’t panic. Steer into the skid. Don’t panic. And by the way, don’t panic. You can have a nervous breakdown once you’re to safety.
- Wheels should be recently balanced and tires rotated.
- Have all of your fluids checked and make sure they are best for the cold weather, including your oil, windshield wiper fluids, and antifreeze.
If you do get stranded, don’t be caught unaware! Ways to prepare:
- Get your first aid kit up to date and include regular meds you and anyone you travel with needs.
- Have healthy non-perishable snacks such as Kind Bars or other solid protein bars. Nuts and dried fruits are also helpful, but make sure to change them out every so often. Water bottles too!
- Have your emergency kit up to date with things like a portable phone charger that is fully charged itself, warm gloves, warm blanket, hat, foldable shovel, extra batteries for your flashlight, jumper cables, tow straps, and a Life Hammer.
Also, if you live in Colorado, you should be aware of the Traction Law and Passenger Vehicle Chain Law rules and requirements. Here’s a link straight to the Colorado Department of Transportation with more details. But in essence, your tires need to meet tire tread requirements and tire chain requirements when snow is on the roads, or you could be fined. At Pro Auto Care in Denver and Littleton, our goal is to help keep your vehicle operating safely so you and your passengers can travel to and fro with less risk.
While we hope you all stay safe this holiday season, we know there are true and tested ways to help make that so! The team at Pro Auto Care in Denver and Littleton wish you and yours the warmest, safest, most wonderful holiday season possible!